6.04.2008

Adventure 20: Nam's Noodles


Nam's Noodles (no website)
1336 Regent St.
3 Adjectives: Savory, ethnic, delicious.
Price: entree (6-14)
Authenticity:
Atmosphere:
Overall:
Veganness:
Other Opinions: yelp, restaurantdb, ...
---

Note*: I've noticed quite a few people are concerned about the status of Gum Seng so I will say this: I have a friend who collaborated with the Gum Seng owner to get her place set up and it seems like according to them Gum Seng isn't going to open up any time soon given the Union South repairs. Sad.

I said before that I thought there were no more delicious Chinese restaurants in town* but I am greatly mistaken. After getting a few tips about how almost every Asian in town eats at Nam's, I decided to try this restaurant using my ultimate test: my mom.

The restaurant is located next to Topper's pizza on Regent and has a small interior. It boasts itself as serving both Chinese and Vietnamese fare. Although the inside is not extremely remarkable in design, the sheer number of Asians eating inside was a sure sign of other successes.

The menu at Nam's is extremely impressive: it is nearly ten pages of food, food, food. After being at a loss about what to get, my family simply got the best hits. It was unanimously decided that all the food was very good and tasty. The short beef rib in black pepper sauce was particularly delicious but unfortunately had a bit of lack in chewiness. A fun dish to try is the mango fish fillet. The dish was a perfect balance of fresh fish and mango. My only complaint is that some of the photos on the menu do not match the food that you ultimately get. Also, it seems like people who don't have a good experience don't pick out the dishes this restaurant specializes in, so it is hard to say whether the many other dishes we did not try live up to their name.

Nam's was very courteous in that even though we arrived quite late, they stayed open extra for us and told us not to worry about the time. I really enjoyed the food and would definitely come again: especially for the noodles, since I have yet to try them. Nam's certainly makes a large leap towards the excellence that is Fortune (in Milwaukee), possibly the only acceptable Chinese restaurant in the State of Wisconsin.

Nam's left me extremely satisfied and I would highly recommend this place for anyone looking for an authentic Chinese food experience – even if you are trying to impress some harder to please Chinese friends.

The menu at the authentic Noodle place Nam's Noodles is very long, which isn't ideal for illiterate skunks...but perfect for vegans! Tossy had a large plate of noodles, vegetables, and tofu, which was delicious. She wished she had been able to try one of the yummy-looking drinks, like bubble tea or a smoothie, but she was simply too full. She hopes to return in search of more noodles and tofu soon.

No comments: