6.10.2008

Adventure 21: Brocach



Brocach Irish Pub (website)
7 W. Main St.
3 Adjectives: Generous, flavorful, cheery.
Price: app (3-13) entree (11-16)
Authenticity:
Atmosphere:
Overall:
Other Opinions: chowhound, yelp, madisonatoz, badgerherald...
---

I've passed by Brocach, a large prominent restaurant on the square, many-a-time when I strolled the square for food because it always looked extremely cliche. Was I in for boring over-Americanized pub food? However, urged by a good friend, I overcame my stereotyping and finally went to Brocach. Surprisingly, I was completely blown away by the food and would definitely be up for a re-visit.

Upon entering Brocach, I was greeted with cheery Irish fiddle music. It turns out the restaurant has musicians on most nights, a wonderful touch to the food. The restaurant looks like an average pub with a large bar and plenty of seating room. There are interesting Gaelic designs all over the place and a nice dark and dingy atmosphere. They also have a second floor seating area, but was closed on that day for a private party.

My first course was a beet salad, which was delicious. I think beets get a horrible reputation because they are always presented at salad bars in a slimy acidic glob so you associate the preservatives with the flavor of the vegetable. However, fresh beets are delicious, juicy, and sweet if you know what to pair them with. In this case, Brocach was spot-on. The meaty beets were paired with spinach and a nice dressing. Next, I tried the fish fry which was again spot-on. The fish had a delicious crispy exterior and a nice meaty interior. My tip for going for the all-you-can-eat: leave the crispy shells out and just go for the meat. In addition, the fries and cole slaw were spot-on. My boyfriend had the bangers and hash and said it was delicious. The sausage was paired with a light apple syrup-like dressing and heaved onto a generous pile of mashed potatoes and the flavors were perfect.

I would highly recommend Brocach Irish pub for absolutely anyone looking for wonderful food and drink in a relaxed atmosphere.

No comments: