3.11.2008

Adventure 7: Subway

Subway (website)
1401 University Ave.
3 Adjectives: Fast, cheap, tasty.
Price: sub (4-7)
Authenticity:
Atmosphere:
Overall:
Other Opinions: could not find any of that location
---

Yeah, that's right. That Subway by Henry Mall. I happen to a rather frequent (at least once a month) diner at this Subway, mostly out of convenience (I'd much rather go to Potbelly's, for instance, but it's just too far). This time, I just took it a step further and started to analyze what I was eating.

My friend and I strolled over to Subway last week after finishing class for a quick lunch. Subway in itself is not great, but this one happens to be in an amazing location to serve west campus. People everywhere from the Med Sci to Biochemistry seem to congregate at this geographical location at lunch time. And who can blame them? I got thirty minutes 'til my electrophoresis is done... perfect, a pilgrimage to Subway!

To be honest, I am a pretty big Cousin's fan, since I think they have two amazing - and addicting - classics: club and roast beef. Yet for some reason, the Cousin's on west campus just leaves far too much to be desired. From their cold and un-crispy shredded lettuce to their not-as-appealing bread, I just feel like they can't compare to the ideal Cousin's in my minds-eye. Therefore, with twenty minutes 'til class, very few options - and oops I forgot to pack my lunch - I usually find myself at Subway.

The biggest issue I have with Subway - or perhaps only this particular Subway - is that they don't give enough meat! As you longtime readers know, Jahboh is a snow leopard for a reason (tangent: NYT article about women who love meat) and darn it, I get rather pissed when I pay $5 and I see them put on TWO thin - like 1mm... maybe?- slices of Turkey. Also I am too stingy to pay extra for meat. Really, I shoudn't need to; what particularly irked me this visit was the fact that I actually got 1/2 as much meat as the guy I had lunch with. I even got the "spicy italian," which is totally the meat to $ ratio maximizer. Not okay.

In addition, I would not recommend ordering the pizza. Ever. The pizza is frozen and they generally add one meat topping and as many veggies as you want. However, the formula for add-what-you-want for Subway's subs simply doesn't yield a very good or coherent tasting pizza. If you want a pizza, spend $2 more and get a large from your nearest pizza chain or go to Ed's. Even the dorm pizza is better and a better deal.

That said, in general I have to admire Subway for being pretty good about non-meat issues. Their Italian herbs and cheese bread is by far the best of the line. Also, I appreciate their generosity with the veggies. In addition, their cookies are not too bad either.

However, the next time you go to Subway, I suggest you grab your nearest football-player-looking friend and hope that they give you some extra meat... for no extra charge.

2 comments:

Rodney Burayidi said...

Yo, they did you wrong at that Subway. Try the Subway further down on University sometime. It's actually out of your way but they give legit portions and the owner is super friendly. It's in a strip mall.

Paige said...

I love Subway. I almost feel it's addicting because I crave it so much. I almost always get either tuna or teriyaki chicken toasted, so I've never really experienced not getting enough meat.
I don't really like the Subway on State St. that much because I went there and the vegetables weren't very good and the lettuce wasn't fresh.
Subway is still my favorite sandwich place. I do like Jimmy John's too because they have alfalfa sprouts, but I can deal without.